"A true-to-life superheroine on the right."
A Successful Advocate for Conservative Change
A Committed Conservative
- Want to keep taxes low? She’s done it!
- Give kids & parents more educational choices? She’s won it!
- Help Arizona ranchers stay in business? She’s accomplished it!
- Protect Arizona small businesses from bureaucratic red tape? She’s been successful with it!
- Promote job growth in one of Arizona’s highest paying industries? She’s championed it!
- Preserving your right to a secret ballot against Big Labor’s attack? She’s chaired it!
Sydney Hay is Arizona’s most successful advocate for change.
A daughter of the West, Sydney was born and raised in a small town in Colorado, graduated Summa Cum Laude from Kansas Newman College and has been a proud Arizona resident for over 30 years. With her Bachelor of Science degree in education in hand, Sydney spent several years teaching elementary and high school students, both in Kansas and in Arizona.
Inspired by the Reagan revolution as well as the continual loss of individual liberties, Sydney became a highly respected and skilled political organizer and association management executive. For more than 20 years, Sydney has been an indefatigable champion of conservative reforms and one of the most successful Arizonans in lowering taxes, requiring government accountability and expanding educational opportunities for children.
Arizona taxpayers have enjoyed 17 years without a state income tax increase, in no small part because of Sydney’s leadership of the campaign to require a 2/3rds vote before any tax or fee can be raised and her tireless work at the Arizona Legislature. A champion of government accountability and reform, Sydney helped ensure the passage of ethics legislation that prohibited Legislators from accepting gifts from lobbyists, keeping campaign cash for personal use or becoming a lobbyist immediately after leaving office – reforms Congress has refused to pass. Sydney’s success in passing scholarship tax credits has become a national model with several states adopting Arizona’s first-in-the-nation legislation.
Sydney has served as President of the Arizona Mining Association, the former Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Arizona Department of Mines and Mineral Resources and has served for the past fifteen years as Executive Director of AMIGOS (Arizona Mining and Industry Get Our Support, a trade association of the small to mid-sized businesses that supply Arizona's vital copper mining industry) – all firsts for a woman in this male-dominated industry. A small business owner, Sydney is President of her own public affairs and association management firm and has managed numerous political campaigns from local to national in scope.
For five years Sydney hosted a daily radio talk show giving her opportunity to both speak and listen to the people of Arizona, discussing their views on public policy. Newspapers and magazines across the country have published dozens of Sydney’s opinion/editorials. She is a frequent guest on local and national radio and television programs as a political commentator, and is a highly sought-after lecturer at conferences across the country.
Her son Andrew is an airline pilot and her daughter Sarah and her son-in-law Ron, a veteran of the Gulf War and Operation Iraqi Freedom, are the proud parents of Sydney's three grandchildren Andrew, Caleb and Sophia. Sydney and her husband Dan share their home with their two dogs, Kensington and Rowdie, but miss their old horse Earl who’s "on summer ranges we'll ride again."
- She chaired the current Save Our Secret Ballot state constitutional amendment campaign (Proposition 108) to defend Arizona against Obama’s “Card Check” legislation.
- Chief organizer of statewide tax limitation initiative, “It’s TIME!”, that amended the Arizona constitution with 72% of the popular vote. This important government reform has protected taxpayers for nearly 20 years.
- Led the successful campaign effort to repeal the tax on livestock, helping to preserve the livelihood of Arizona’s ranchers and farmers.
- Worked to pass legislation allowing for Arizona’s vibrant charter schools and the landmark Scholarship Tax Credit law, securing Arizona parents rights in their children’s education.
- Testified in support of Capital Gains Tax cuts and IRS Reform before Congressional committees.
- Leader of the Arizona Taxpayer Protection Pledge thereby holding elected officials accountable to the taxpayers.
- Spearheaded a national grassroots mobilization of automobile owners in support of consumer choice in auto repair.
- Organized Arizona National Town Hall meeting and other citizen efforts in opposition to government takeover of healthcare.
- Listed for many years in the prestigous Heritage Foundation’s Guide to Public Policy Experts.
- Invited by Czech President Vac Havel to participate in conference of freedom
movement leaders in Prague, Czechoslovakia, 1990.
- Led the effort that passed school choice grants for disabled and foster children.
- Rallied Americans to restore US Military strength after the Clinton-era cuts.
- Spearheaded governmental ethics reform legislation that ended “business-as-usual” in Arizona government.
- Published in several newspapers and national publications.
- Numerous television appearances including ABC’s “Politically Incorrect” and NBC affiliate’s “Sunday Square Off.”
- Small Business Owner
- Car Accident Lawyer